Hello, friends, In the times when you want your homes to be modern and classy, one of the most talked-about and most used floorings is Vitrified tile flooring. Vitrified tile is a ceramic tile with very low porosity. It is an alternative to marble and granite flooring. Vitrified tiles are often used outdoors due to their water and frost resistance. So let’s discuss the variety of vitrified tiles present in the market these days. Check out Vitrified tile: 7 different types of tile flooring in the market.
Full body vitrified tiles
Full body vitrified tiles have a uniform color running through their thickness hence these tiles never fade in their lifetime. (1) If we cut these tiles then at the border we can see color will be the same throughout the body. These types of tiles are available in matt and glossy finish. During the process of manufacturing, paint mixture is added right in the initial stages, so as to create a homogeneous color that is consistent throughout the tile. Glazed vitrified tiles and full body vitrified tiles may look the same, hence it is essential to check the technical specifications of vitrified tiles before purchasing.
- Scratches are less noticeable in this type of tiles
- The design and color of these tiles will never fade throughout its life as it is spread out in the entire body of tiles
- This type of tiles is very easy to clean and requires very little maintenance
- These tiles are costly as compared to double charge vitrified tiles due to the color printing technology
- This type of tile is available in limited designs. The reason is every new design needs a new mixture for body preparation.
These tiles are most suitable for high traffic areas such as shopping complexes, airports, etc. because the scratches are hardly visible.
Full body vitrified tiles are available in various sizes such as 600mm X 600mm, 800mm X 800mm, 600mm X 1200mm and so on. These sizes may vary depending on the manufacturer.
These tiles are more costly as compared to double charge vitrified tiles. The prize may vary with the manufactures and sizes.
Double Charge Vitrified Tiles
In double charge vitrified tiles, (2) two kinds of colors are fed into the machine during manufacturing. The press machine prints a 3mm to 4mm thick layer of a dual-colored pattern on the upper portion of the tile. This upper layer should not be 4mm thick otherwise it reduces the strength of the tile. These tiles come in glossy and matt finish and are good for high traffic areas.
- These tiles are more durable as compared to other types of vitrified tiles
- More designs and shades are possible as it is only on the surface hence options and varieties are huge
- They are stain-resistant and do not collect dirt easily
- They do not need strict maintenance
- These tiles can retain their shine for a long time
- They have a very long life compared to the traditional soluble salt tiles
These tiles are not available in a variety of complex design patterns due to technology limitations
These types of tiles can be used in homes, corporate projects, etc.
Double charge vitrified tiles are available in various sizes that are 600mm X 600mm, 800mm X 800mm, 800mm X 1600mm and 600mm X 1200mm etc. The size of this type of vitrified tiles may change with different manufacturers.
The price of double charge vitrified tiles is higher than glazed vitrified tiles but lower than full body vitrified tiles.
Glazed Vitrified Tiles (GVT)
It is also known as digital glazed vitrified tiles. (3) GVT is manufactured with the help of digital technology in which printing is done by a high volume inkjet printer. The layer of glaze printed on the tiles is usually less than 1mm. This glazed surface allows any type of design, surface textures, etc. on it. They come in glossy, matte, rustic, wooden and other finishes also. They offer a wide variety of designs, art work and surface textures like wood grain, bamboo, slate or stone. It can increase the aesthetics of the floor.
- The glaze layer on top of vitrified tiles can be printed with any design
- Marble patterns, wooden patterns or anything you can imagine is now possible in glazed vitrified tiles
- Because of digital technology used, the cost of these tiles is higher
- It is not suitable for high traffic areas
- It is less durable as compared to double charge and full body vitrified tiles
- The glazed layer of tiles may fade away after some time
- These tiles are less scratch-resistant
Glazed vitrified tiles are suitable for areas of low or medium traffic
GVT is available in varies sizes such as 300mm X 600mm, 600mm X 600mm, 800mm X 800mm, 600mm X 1200mm, 800mm X 1200mm etc. However, sizes may vary with different manufacturers.
The price of these tiles is less than double charge vitrified tiles.
Polished Glazed Vitrified Tiles (PGVT)
It is also known as PGVT and is the same as glazed vitrified tiles with polish on top of it to make it shinier (4).
Polished Glazed Vitrified Tiles are more polished and shiny than Glazed Vitrified Tiles.
- These tiles are not that durable as compared to double charge vitrified tiles
- They are more costly as compared to GVT
Polished glazed vitrified tiles are ideal for home as they are very shiny and gives your home a modern look.
Sizes and Price:
The size and price of these tiles is almost similar to glazed vitrified tiles. It is available in varies sizes such as 300mm X 600mm, 600mm X 600mm, 800mm X 800mm, 600mm X 1200mm, 800mm X 1200mm etc. However, sizes and prices may vary with different manufacturers.
Soluble Salt Vitrified Tiles
Vitrified tiles that are printed with screen-printing technology and then polished are called soluble salt vitrified tiles. During the process of manufacturing soluble salts are used to penetrate the tile and give it its color, design, and pattern. These tiles are not used so widely these days.
These are the cheapest vitrified tiles available in the market.
- The design of soluble salt vitrified tiles may fade away after a few years
- Fewer design options are available because of technology limitations
Uses and Price:
These types of tiles are suitable for low traffic areas. It is the cheapest of all the vitrified tiles available in the market.
Nano Polished Vitrified Tiles
These are also known as nanotechnology vitrified tiles or nano tiles. Nano polish is based on Chemical-Nano technology. If we apply a layer of liquid silica on the vitrified tiles then it fills the micropores on the surface of the tiles and makes it smoother and shinier. Self-setting organizing nano components will form an invisible layer on the surface of vitrified tiles which will have excellent water and dust repellent and have antibacterial properties.
If you want to check the genuineness of nano polished tiles then you may check the performance of the tiles by pouring some water on the coated tiles. If the tile is properly coated then water will form droplets and will roll off from the surface. You can also check by marking the surface by a permanent marker and after a few seconds try to remove t simply by water. If the stain removes without many efforts, it is surely nano-coated tiles.
- Since the floor surface is more prone to get stained by ink, food items, tea, coffee, dirt or other liquids, Nano coating is ideal to solve this problem
- These tiles are water repellent and thus they do not easily absorb stains
- In short, nano-coating retains the quality of the surfaces even after a long time.
- These titles are easy to clean and possess anti-bacterial properties
- They are easy to maintain and are scratch-resistant
Nano polishes vitrified tiles are suitable for bedrooms, living rooms and commercial places due to its various advantages discussed above.
Sugar Finish Vitrified Tiles
These tiles have a sugar-like finish on the top. The special effect of sugar is prepared by mixing two types of imported granules mixed at a given ratio depending on the surface requirement. It is applied on the surface with very new and different technology. These tiles are more scratch-resistant and slip-resistant than any other tiles. But these tiles are very difficult to clean. These vitrified tiles are best suited for living rooms, bedrooms, bathrooms and lavish offices.
So these are the various types of vitrified tiles available in the market. Vitrified tiles are one of the best flooring options because of their high durability, maintenance-free and strength. There are different types of vitrified tiles and choosing the right one makes all the difference. Each type of vitrified tiles is best suited for particular needs and therefore this article will help you in differentiating between all these tiles and choosing the best one. One must keep in mind that while purchasing tiles for your house or office always remember to buy the whole lot together and even some extras for future use. So that it does not become difficult to find the exact match later.